Monta Ellis was introduced to the Dallas Mavericks media collective yesterday. Fresh off inking a three-year, $30 million deal with Dallas, Monta (naturally) was asked about his former playing situation. He then said some things.
"The previous team I been on, like I said once before, I had to do 60 percent of the work no matter what the situation is."
When you’re in a place where you’re unhappy, it’s very hard to perform to your best ability."
He didn't exactly expand on what made him so unhappy, instead insisting that he "left that in Milwaukee."
Interesting. Anything else to add, Monta?
"I don't think I have to do as much as I had to do in the previous years. That's going to get me back to being efficient, that's going to get me back to being more consistent and it's going to get me back to playing Monta basketball."
Does this sound familiar? It should. At his press conference in Detroit, Brandon Jennings said that he will become a more efficient basketball player in Detroit because he "won't have to do things, like take all those bad shots" like he did in Milwaukee.
This is getting rather hilarious to me. And by hilarious I really mean aggravating, but Andrew Gruman of Fox Sports Wisconsin already has that covered.
A lot of us will agree with Andrew and not feel terribly sympathetic towards Monta (and Brandon), but...what if it is our problem? WHAT IF WE DIDN'T DO ENOUGH?!?!?
What could the Bucks have done to make Monta happier in Milwaukee? Here are some pretty strong ideas.
- Eliminate the three point line, so that Monta can have all the long twos he wants and not have to record stats from behind the arc (say, I don't know, 28 percent or something).
- Give him all of the salary cap. More money = more incentive to play to the best of your abilities.
- Let Monta be player-coach. Who better to implement the "Monta basketball" offense than the creator himself?
- Create a defensive surrogate that only plays on that half of the court because, let's face it, defense is really hard. For extra laughs, make that surrogate Brandon Jennings.
- Provide two basketballs per game, one specifically for him. Maybe he'd be more efficient if had the ball more often.
- Make Brandon Jennings share one of his copies of Drake's Take Care from time to time.
- Let him participate in the baby races once. Just once.
- Create another river and name that (or at least dedicate it to) Monta (@jhartzell2).
- The most comfortable seat every time he has to be on the bench.
- A chance to be the Packers' starting running back.
- A Summerfest Power Pass.
- His own Cold Stone flavor at every establishment in Wisconsin. For size rankings, it would go "Like It!" "Love it!" "Gotta Have It!" "Have it all!"
- The opportunity to be an adjunct professor of microeconomics at Marquette (@andy_kane).
- The right to throw out every first pitch at Miller Park
- More Kopps. Always more Kopps.
- $100 dollars anytime anyone spells his name as 'Monte'.
- A guarantee that he'll be able to body surf at the next Paul McCartney concert.
Obviously none of these will work, as Monta is gone and off to his ''fresh start'' in Dallas. It would be rude to not wish him well, so good luck to you. Hopefully you'll find out what went so wrong while you're there and save a Mavs blogger of having to write something similar in three years.