Perhaps one of the most extensively-discussed prospects thus far in our exercise, Arizona small forward Stanley Johnson finally gets his name on the board in the #9 spot.
The 19-year-old forward turned in an impressive freshman season for the Wildcats, playing a key role on one of the nation's best college teams last season. He was the team's primary scorer, using over 26% of their possessions and tallying a solid 55.1 TS%. A bit undersized for a modern wing at under 6'7" in shoes, Johnson makes up for it with terrific strength and quickness. He's a capable shot-creator for himself, but not a great passer. He struggled with turnover issues as well. Johnson's size and relative lack of explosive athleticism hampered his ability to finish at the rim, but he compensated with a well-developed in-between game and ball-handling skills he can use to get defenders off balance and create space for open shots.
Defensively, Johnson projects as a potential lockdown perimeter defender, boasting a nearly 7-foot wingspan to go with his imposing frame. He can stay with opponents in space and hold up in the post against anybody seeking to take advantage of his short-ish stature. He's got great defensive metrics, including impressive steal and rebounding rates, the latter especially noteworthy due to his size and expected position. Johnson should be capable of contributing in nearly every aspect of the game. He'd be an excellent long-term replacement for the role currently filled by O.J. Mayo, providing depth on the wings behind (presumably) Khris Middleton and Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Brew Hoop Draft Board 2015
1. Karl-Anthony Towns - PF/C, Kentucky, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
2. Jahlil Okafor - C, Duke, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
3. D'Angelo Russell - G, Ohio State, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
4. Emmanuel Mudiay - PG, International - DraftExpress Profile
5. Justise Winslow - SF, Duke, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
6. Mario Hezonja - G/F, International - DraftExpress Profile
7. Willie Cauley-Stein - C, Kentucky, Junior - DraftExpress Profile
8. Kristaps Porzingis - PF, International - DraftExpress Profile
9. Stanley Johnson - SF, Arizona, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile