Positional redundancy be damned, Brew Hoop's readers want talent! So with the #12 pick they've selected Kansas forward Kelly Oubre.
Oubre faced pretty high expectations in his freshman year at Kansas as a top recruit being asked to step in for the departed Andrew Wiggins and play a big role for the Jayhawks. That didn't happen early in the season, as Oubre struggled to find consistent playing time under Bill Self, presumably due to inconsistent defensive performance. That's a bit surprising, since much of the NBA-related hype surrounding Oubre has to do with his defense. He's got good size and strength, and a wingspan above 7 feet, outstanding for a wing. He's got good per-minute rebounding numbers as well.
On offense, Oubre should be a solid jump shooter, though a limited one at first. His numbers were somewhat inconsistent at Kansas, but he has sound mechanics and looked good when he could find a rhythm. But he's not much of a shot creator at this point, a hard sell for modern NBA wings. Coupled with his struggles finishing at the rim (partly due to limited athleticism), Oubre looks very much like a complementary player at this point. His drafting team will be banking largely on his potential as an elite "3-and-D" player, and possibly more.
Brew Hoop Draft Board 2015
1. Karl-Anthony Towns - PF/C, Kentucky, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
2. Jahlil Okafor - C, Duke, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
3. D'Angelo Russell - G, Ohio State, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
4. Emmanuel Mudiay - PG, International - DraftExpress Profile
5. Justise Winslow - SF, Duke, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
6. Mario Hezonja - G/F, International - DraftExpress Profile
7. Willie Cauley-Stein - C, Kentucky, Junior - DraftExpress Profile
8. Kristaps Porzingis - PF, International - DraftExpress Profile
9. Stanley Johnson - SF, Arizona, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
10. Frank Kaminsky - PF/C, Wisconsin, Senior - DraftExpress Profile
11. Myles Turner - C, Texas, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile
12. Kelly Oubre - SF, Kansas, Freshman - DraftExpress Profile