I posted this in a random thread about voting off Planet Pat, so I figured it may get more dialogue here!
For a midseason tournament, I propose a month-long format. They should incentivize in a way that has worked well for the All Star Game: awarding $$$ to charities.
The team format could be something like this:
1. Top 8 MVP vote-getters from the previous season who are still playing at the time of the draft (not retired or season-long injury) select their team's charity to play for.
2. Then they serve as captains and have a 10-player draft. This puts the NBA's top 80 players on the court, so bench-warmers the fans don't care about aren't playing.
3. Before the first game is played, all 8 teams visit the team's charity, do photo ops, and get inspired to play for them.
4. Play a round-robin 7-game format where each team plays each other once. This should take 2-3 weeks from mid-January through mid-February.
5. Top 4 teams advance to a single-elimination tournament in mid-February, leading up to the All Star Game. This way it doesn't compete with the NFL.
6. Every player drafted plays between 7-9 games.
7. Cut the regular season schedule from 82 games to 74, so no games are lost or added.
8. Have the tourney's player stats count toward regular season stats.
FanPosts are user-generated blogs-within-the-blog. We require that members abide by our <a href="http://www.sbnation.com/community-guidelines" target="new">community guidelines</a> and keep things respectable.